Alternative training outside during winter

Hey everyone,

just wanted to know who was into some other sports during the winter, but sports that are done outside :P, along with the fresh air. I might be starting doing more classical cross-country skiing, hiking for sure and many other stuff and wanted to know if any of you were doing similar activities.

bye
seb

running :lol:

hey seb, im not planning on doing any other sports other than perhaps the occasional day of downhill skiing, however if you are going hiking sometime christina and i would be interested in joining you (we have never really done any hiking before)

• leslie

hey, i also run, but always wanted to take up XC skiing, and was gonna do it this winter along with Olivier who came ride with us a couple of times. do you have skis yet or will you buy some?

Now that my research seems to have gotten under control (let’s hope it stays this way…) I am hoping to get my heart rate up again!

I have to admit that I’m not a winter person, but I’m determined to overcome my dislike of the bitter cold by trying some winter sports. I’ve hiked quite a bit (Alps and Carpathians) but again, never in winter. If you know of any good hiking that can be done in the winter anywhere close by let me know!

I’m hoping to try XC skiing this winter. I heard that you can do it both on Mont Royal and somewhere around the botanical gardens, so I’m hoping to check that out. Other than that, I will be doing a LOT of skating!

Hi

for monika, yes in montreal you can do it on mont-royal, parc maisonneuve (just beside botanical garden), and all the great natural park around the island (ile bizard, pointe st-jacques, ile de la visitation, bois de liesses, …) and some are really nice place to go, but might need a car since the far west island end is pretty far to go in bus.

Nammerlaan, the skis i have right now are too unconfortable and not really good (fishscale, no wax), so i’ll get a “new” used pair soon before the snow starts to accumulate. Are you in classical or skating XC skiing?

Leslie, sure i’ll let you know, right now i am going hicking roughly once every weekend, so if you are available at some point, just tell me

bye bye
seb

Sounds like some things could be organized here! I know mcgill outdoors club rents out XC skis very cheaply, so when the snow falls we could spend sat/sun afternoon XC skiing?

Bring on the snow! :smiley:

I have been XC skiing ever since I was in high school (yes, that long!) and I have since added the skating technique to go along with the classic style I originally learned. I’m not a fan of bitter cold when I’m skiing alone but being in a group can really take your mind off of the environment for a few hours at least.

I’m in.

Snowshoeing use to be a popular MCT winter activity - it’s great on the mountain, and snowshoes can also be rented from the gym.

For any/everyone with off-road bikes, a group used also to ride up the carriage path in winter, and walk/run back down the stairs from the chalet to keep warm(er) feet. After two years, the stairs are finally reconstructed - though they are not as conveninet as before (too many of them!). [I realise this isn’t quite “alternative” training, but heh…]

Clarisse

Well, snow isn’t there yet, so I’m commuting between home and McGill (30 min 2X a day = 5hrs per week) on my weird bike. Snowshoeing is sad on Mount Royal and in Montreal unless there was a big snowfall during the night AND it’s during the week-end AND you’re available to open the tracks before anyone else, because there’s so much people using the trails that the snow is tightly packed and you don’t actually need snowshoes. What I do recommend as an occasionnal training is to snowshoe to university (without taking the car/bike/bus/metro) during a snowstorm - you’ll look more intelligent than anyone else, you’ll get congratulations for your great idea and you will make a lot of effort and get to laugh at stupid short-sighted drivers. Another idea: become a conservation patroller on Mount Royal. You’ll get to know the park by heart, walk a lot (3 hours shift), practice your second language (whether it’s French or English) and know all current and past issues about the delicate and fragile equilibrium on the mountain.