Bike Maintenance Advice?

Heyheyhey!

My arm’s almost back to normal, and I’m looking forward to getting back to riding. However, I took my bike in for an assessment, and, well, I’ve neglected it bigtime: I figure the breakpads, chain, tubes, and tires are easy to do myself, but the cassette isn’t something I’m as familiar with.

Any suggestions as to where I ought to go to buy the new parts / get the cassette replaced / have the bike undergo analysis(and is this computer analysis the shops mention really necessary)? Cyclo technique? Yeti? I live in the Plateau, so close is good, but i’d be happy to bike around for better deals.

Any advice much appreciated!
-Alex

Computer analysis? Seriously?

Unless you believe in supporting the local economy I’d buy the cassette online from whoever has a sale right now (there are usually some mid-late season sales).

IMO bike shops are also over-zealous about making you change the cassette (unless of course you kept on an old chain way too long which can lead to premature cassette wear). Unless you are really obsessed about perfect performance it takes more wear before an old cassette really starts shifting like crap and rapidly wearing out chains. It’s a cost benefit thing - it takes a number of quicker worn out chains before you make up the cost of an early cassette change.

I’ll show you how to do the cassette change if you want when you get it, I’m in the plateau too. It’s like a 10 minute job unless its badly stuck or galled.

Thanks so much Jason! It’s been 5 years since I bought the bike, Ive done both triathlon and regular cycling with it every summer, and I havent replaced the chain or cassette yet(I know, very bad). They both look mighty worn, so I think they both have to be replaced, especially since the gears shift and jump very randomly and frequently now.

I’ll start to look for a cassette, and it would be great if you could help me install it when it arrives! And maybe the breakpads too? I know how to do them, but Ive never done them on a nicer bike so it would be great to have someone take a look-over on them to make sure they’re good.

Anyhow, thanks so much for your help! I’ll head up to Yeti or something to start looking for parts, unless anyone has any more suggestions as to where to go. I’ll try online, but I’m worried about ordering the wrong things.

Oh yah, and the computer analysis would cost about 400$ but it was said that my bike “really needs it.” I’m glad to hear it’s not considered a routine maintenance procedure that I’m the only neglecting to have done.

You need a new advisor. Mine sends me youtube vids all of the time.

Uh yeah, 5 years without changing either probably does mean both are junk.

What drivetrain do you have? Shimano/SRAM or Campy? 8-9 or 10 speed? What brakes do you have?

It’s pretty easy to order stuff online, there aren’t THAT many options.

I still don’t really understand what they meant by computer analysis. I mean a bike fit is critical, but I can’t think of anything bike maintenance related that requires a computer.

“I still don’t really understand what they meant by computer analysis. I mean a bike fit is critical, but I can’t think of anything bike maintenance related that requires a computer.”

Exactly. My guess is you’re referring to fitting using video analysis which has nothing to do with bike maintenance. Simple courtesy dictates that you take the time to understand what you’re talking about before calling out one of our most supportive and accommodating sponsors. If $400 sounds expensive (and that’s the first time i’ve ever heard that figure btw) it might be because you don’t understand the product/service that’s being presented to you.

Changing a cassette takes no more than 10 minutes and requires maybe $40 worth of tools. A good resource for bike maintenance tips is youtube. For example: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bicycle+maintenance+casette+changing&aq=0

I do all of my research on youtube. Amazing resource. My professor hasn’t embraced it entirely yet though.

Jason:
I much appreciate the help; the tubes, tires and brakes have been easier, but the chain and cassette are posing problems for me.
The chain says ‘Shimano HG CN5600.’ The rear cassette says ‘Shimano Hyperglide CS 5600 Japan VIA’ and the front cassette says FSA 50/39, S-10, 130mm BCD’. Is this enough info to order with? Since the chain is mighty stretched, and teeth on both the front and rear cassettes are worn, I’ll have to replace all three. Do they usually come as a set or separately? Would you suggest ordering them all together or to search for the cheapest of each independently?
Thanks sooo much! :smiley:

Scott:
Thanks for the vid! I appreciate the youtube; it is a most helpful and surprising resource for this stuff.
Also, I don’t think it’s inappropriate for rookie cyclists/mechanics to publicly question advice from pro shops, especially if it’s costly; I think “simple courtesy dictates” that we have an open online environment here for rookies to ask questions without our ignorance being pointed out, lol. It’s clear that I don’t know exactly what services I’m talking about; that’s why I’m on the forum asking questions and trying to understand, lol.
However, I really do appreciate your suggestion of making sure to keep negative comments away from the sponsor, and I’ll be sure to keep it in mind from now on. They are indeed quite rad for the team.

About replacing your drivetrain (experts feel free to correct me):

For the cassette, it is important that you know how many speeds/gears it has (probably 9) and replace it with a cassette with the same. Since you have a shimano set up, you can’t use Campagnolo, but every other brand should be compatible. Get a chain that matches the number of speeds of your cassette (i.e. a 9-speed chain), again avoid Campagnolo but all other brands should be fine (i.e. KMC, shimano, etc.) Ditto for the chainrings (front gears).

Shimano uses 4 digit numbers (or rarely a letter and 3 digits) to identify the series model (sora, tiagra, 105, ultegra, DA, etc) preceeded by a two letter code to tell you what part it is (CN for chain, CS for cassette, etc).

5600 is older Shimano 105.

What you called the front cassette is actually called the chainrings (you have to replace them individually).

basically you are free to use any Shimano compatible stuff though, and this includes SRAM stuff too. Lots of stuff will fit on your splines but you want a 10 spd cassette.

I am personally partial to KMC chains and I’ve been using the KMC X10-93 with quick licks for a while now. I usually use SRAM PG1070 cassettes.

Any 130 BCD chainrings will do, just make sure they have the # of teeth you want. I’m not a fan of FSA stuff, I usually get TA chainrings.

Wiggle.co.uk has some decent sales right now and offers free shipping but always shop around.