Hello team

Hello guys and girls!

for those who don’t know me: about a year ago I arrived in Montreal (as a visiting PhD student) and joined the cycling team until I went back to Belgium around march of this year.

I am glad to see that the cycling team is as active as ever. I just wanted to let everyone know I haven’t forgotten the great time I had on the team. And I would like to thank everyone and especially the MCT execs for the great atmosphere on the team.

Unfortunately, I left Montreal around the time the racing season started, so I never participated in the ECCC races. Nevertheless, I (enviously) look at the racing pictures now and then and you guys all look really good! (Surely no one can corner like Marie eve! And Ben Adler riding in the pack “MTB”-style… undeniably cool :))

Anyway, when I got back to Belgium, I started racing as well and I am happy to say that Hons’s spinning classes paid off! Even though I had a bit of a slow start (too much work), around june, I decided to work a little
less and cycle more (yes, you can do that when you’re a PhD student :)…). And right now, the last two months, I regularly finish in the top 10 (mostly in small provincial leagues, where there are only two main categories: “young guys” and “old guys”. National level is too high for me), and I recently got a 3rd place (no pictures
of this unfortunately, since I couldn’t attend the “ceremony”).

Just so you know, I am faithfully wearing
my McGill jersey, though not so much the McGill shorts (it appears I am not quite fat enough to wear Nics pants – I blame Hons’s spinning classes for my tight legs/ass.) and (illegally) defending the McGill colors overseas :slight_smile:
(my brother was so nice to make a couple of videos of me during a (small) race):
http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~dversche/cycling/stasegem1.avi (12 Mb)
http://people.mech.kuleuven.be/~dversche/cycling/stasegem2.avi (39 Mb)(start of final lap… I got pushed back to 8th in the sprint)
So… find the McGill jersey… :slight_smile:
If I am not mistaken, I think the McGill logo is already starting to instill fear into the hearts of brave Flemish cyclists (ok, I completely made that up).

Anyway, I had a great time being on the team and out of “nostalgia” I still like to wear the MCT outfit. I hope everyone is well and wish you all the best and a lot of cycling fun!

Cheers!
Diederik

P.S: if any of you guys/girls ever decides to visit Belgium to do some cycling, don’t hesitate to drop me a line at diederikverscheure@hotmail.com. I will be more than happy to show you some nice cobblestone rides (OK we do have other rides too, but cobblestone rides are lots of fun :slight_smile:

Hey Diederik, it’s wonderful to hear from you and to learn that mcgill cycling team is now competing not only accross North America but also Europe!
Keep it up!

hi diederik!!

only the other day me and soloway were on the track, talking about you, saying how much we missed your draft… no i’m just joking, we miss you very much! it’s really good to hear from you, and even better to see you’ve remained faithful! keep up the good work!!

NIce to hear from you Diederik-

Keep it real in belguim.

we miss you a lot diedrik, but i’ve had a few rides where i’ve thought, “man, i could really use diedrik to block all the wind for me!” hope you’re not working too hard, but don’t have cycling be the reason you take 10 years to get your phd!

Allright! Good to hear from you guys! Meanwhile everything is busy here again. This weekend will probably be the last races for me, after which I will switch to LSD-training (long-slow-distance). I hope the weather
will be fine until december for you guys. I know I enjoyed the rides from
sept-dec last year. Here, it regularly rains already :frowning:

Cheers!
Diederik