How does a bicycle wheel work?

I’m starting a term research project for my class “Stability of Structures.” I want to analyze the way a bicycle wheel carries loads and buckles. Suddenly, this class sounds like a lot more fun than it actually is.

Does anyone have any books on how to build a wheel? The more math or physics in it, the better. In particular, I’m looking for “The Bicycle Wheel” by Jobst Brandt.

I may also be in the market for a well-taco’d wheel for the big final presentation…

I actually have “The Bicycle Wheel” if you want it. It’s a great book, and I build and understand wheels much better since I’ve read it. Like, a lot better. The first two parts are geared towards actually building wheels, and how a wheel works theorhetically, and the last one’s all the physics and equations. I’m an arts major, so it shouldn’t be too hard to guess which parts I read.

But yeah, if you want to borrow it, let me know. At least then one of us will have understood the physics!

Oh, and as for the taco’d wheel, there’s an easy solution for that. We called it a “rim toss” back home, and it is undisputedly the most fun you can have with an old wheel and a dumpster.