News from Athletics

Hey all,

Here are a list of upcoming events/ things to do with Athletics that may be of interest.

1. Right to Play - not sure if you guys have heard of this but it is a way for athletes to become leaders/role models for younger students (ie elementary/high school students). You volunteer to go in to a school with a couple other people and talk to kids about what sport you do, and why. If you are interested, let me know and I can give you more info. They also have a website you can check out: www.playchampions.ca

2. Equipment drive: Athletics is hosting an equipment drive so if you have any decent equipment you are looking to get rid of, let me know.

3. There is now a varsity stand in the SSMU building to promote varsity athletics. If you ever want to buy tickets for sports games, you should be able to buy them there. The stand is there every Thursday 11-1 (this may change soon to 12-2).

4. If you are interested, you can apply to carry the Olympic torch while it makes its trek across Canada at the following website: http://www.carrythetorch.com/

5. Lastly, the Athletics Awards Gala will be on April 2nd this year. Just a head’s up.

Hope to see some of you at the meeting Thursday!

Christina