Truvativ's HammerSchmidt

Sweet new fancy stuff for the MTB… until something goes wrong.

one chainring with chainguard, two speeds, lots of clearance

http://bikemag.com/news/freshproduce/8-12-08-previewed-unveiling-truvativs-hammerschmidt/

Did you get one?

It’s really pretty reliable technology, especially when you consider all the things that can (and do) go wrong with a derailleur shifting system that’s exposed to all the elements. You could file it in the same folder as internal planetary gears like you had on old 3-speeds, which are now getting popular again, and which have been around and relatively problem-free for ages and ages.

oh man this looks sweet

no I don’t have one. I don’t think that this particular one is available yet, but it is really tempting… let’s start working on breaking my crank to give me a reason to change it…

planetary gear trains are extremely tough and reliable - especially when compared to the flimsy multi-cog and dérailleur systems.

They’ve been floating in and out of mainstream for decades (the 3 speed as mike said). I think the only reason they haven’t really caught back on in a big way other than for utility bikes is the comparative cost for the mainstream and the weight and up to 10% lower mech efficiency for the elite road race folk.

Just to let you know that the system is going to cost between $700-800. Lots of money for an unproven system. Give it a year or two and the cost will go down and you will know how reliable it is.
Eric