Wrist pain from 'cross racing: thoughts?

For the last 2.5 weeks i’ve been experiencing a very annoying wrist pain. It started because of cross and i think that the repeated rattling of racing and training on single track was a little bit of a shock. I’ve crashed a couple times but nothing serious. It hurts most when i twist my writs (screw in light bulb motion), and a little when extend backwards (rev motorcycle motion), and now any time i put pressure on it in a way that mimics having your hands on the hoods. I’ve canceled both my races this weekend to give it some rest which leaves my thoroughly depressed. After racing with it this past Wednesday, i noticed that i’ve lost a lot of strength and the little bone ball thingy on the outside of my wrist is quite swollen.

Going to the pharmacy to try and find a suitable ice pack this afternoon. Considering a brace of some kind also and maybe a stress ball to exercise it, not sure though. Any helpful advice and/or jokes about masturbation are welcome.

Hey Scott,

I have experienced this before as one of my multiple arm injuries playing tennis. From what I can tell, it sounds like you have advanced wrist tendonitis. This means that when you are overusing those muscles cycling and educing shock to the wrist you are overusing your tendons. What happens is they get tiny micro trauma which really means rips and tears of irritation. These tendons are inflamed which is caused by repetitive strain. What you need to do is use an anti inflammatory drug (can be advil or tylenol) ice it, and stay off of the wrist for a week or so. If you feel any sharp or shooting pain , loss of hand strength, or numbness that is when you need to go see a physiotherapist or rheumatologist. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! Also, if this problem persists for more than 2 weeks you should go see someone.

Happy Healing!

Jenny

Scott, are you aware that one of our team sponsors, Cycle Technique, is hosting an evening conference on this issue on 27 Oct at 20:00? Here is the link that I received in my email. Cheers

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qvlr9edab&v=001qNpDsySIaEIHOHTGLIEL3rio5GUOiax4xlwyv5uModxlcwX2jHHVvMrh-sO0V5rSlWcqRLJrjOF-X_ibHD0hFjNDMLzGQ67cvMKCzHaNI5Y9-TMP6eIdMvSlSgcUCi-UGAKta0-yABDBHHcJrGzRXg%3D%3D

I agree with Jennifer’s advice. For the anti-inflammatory, those are meds such advil, ibuprofen, motrin, naproxen, aspirin. Tylenol, however, isn’t an anti-inflammatory, it’s just for pain. Ice around 20 minutes every 2 hours. after a couple of days of rest, with the pain getting a bit better, the stress ball exercise would be good, and you can also do wrist extension with a light weight, as long as there’s no pain. When you begin the exercises, you can also begin doing gentle stretching by keeping your elbow straight and using for good arm to gently pull your wrist into flexion (palm moving down and pointing to yourself). Do this 3x10 reps, without holding it, and DO NOT go into pain range. And ice after the exercises.
I would, however, suggest seeing a physio. The sooner they see you, the more they can help you.

Hope this helps.

I personally find everything hurts when I cross race.

Hope it stops soon.

maybe this is what you need, Scott

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5800

the fork looks bent to me.