Buying a Cycling Computer for the Summer

Hey, everyone!

Basically, I miss South Carolina and can’t wait to begin doing distance rides around Quebec this summer! So, I’m looking to get a GPS computer for my bike. Ideally, it:

• would have long battery life (would rather not use my iPhone)
  • can preload routes
  • can give turn-by-turn directions (w/ street names ideally)
  • would be under $250.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or know anyone looking to pawn older gear? I was hoping to snag either the Garmin Edge 520 or the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, especially secondhand, and especially since I noticed a couple of these present at SoCa. :slight_smile:

Ooh, and yes, I’ve already set up notifications on Indépendant CC and Craigslist!
Thanks in advaance.

I think they’ll all have a long battery life, but I recommend upping your budget a bit and waiting just a tad longer! I got my touring edge plus which was… 350$? I don’t know how much less than that you’ll get but I sort of regret it because now I want a power meter and it doesn’t have compatibility with them. I really suggest waiting till like 500$ budget to get the 520 unless you can get it used. Don’t do like me and assume you won’t ever want a power meter, I’m dying for one right now but can’t afford to change the head unit.

I did a lot of research on both units you mention and went with the Bolt, which I highly recommend. Head to head it seems to be favoured over the Edge 520 by a good margin and my experience with it so far has been super. Its easy to use and works great, especially the GPS and mapping functions. I couldn’t find one for under $400 CAD around here so waited and bought it in SC for a bit less (was 250 USD, so around 325 CAD with the conversion). I haven’t seen any on the used market though.

For reviews and comparisons check out DC Rainmaker (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/07/best-bike-gps-2017-garmin-wahoo.html) or GPLama’s youtube reviews.

2 Likes

The bolt is still fairly new and had great reviews. You’ll have to be lucky to find a used one at this point.

If you want to be an e a r l y a d o p t e r : https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

2 Likes

yo @Herman, I think a better use of money would be getting your hand a good second hand one. that said you might be able to find some cheap computer. but you deserve a good bike :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All of you have been super helpful, thank you! And yes, I’m planning on getting both a light bike and a bike computer… fingers crossed I make enough with Foodora to afford both! For now I’ll just keep watching the webs.

1 Like