Team Study Group

Hey ya’ll!

So I’m putting out a feeler for the creation of a cycling team study group. It’s something that was built into the UVic varsity rowing program (by the captaincy) and definitely had positive benefits/outcomes for all those who joined in! From personal experience, my transition from student to student-athlete in my 3rd year of undergrad is in many ways the reason I got myself into McGill. Through the formation of this study group, I am not trying to overstress the importance of academics. In fact, since my arrival I have been openly critical of the work-hard play(party)-hard mentality celebrated here. I much prefer to take a balanced approach to life and am a firm believer that the best forms of knowledge are developed outside of the academic setting. That being said, we are registered students at McGill, thus the reality is that a certain devotion to academics is a necessary evil.

Short-term goal: To get a few people together in celebration of knowledge development/production. Aka: Much needed social/peer support.

Long-term goal: Study rooms booked/guaranteed for cycling team members to convene. Aka: McGill Cycling Team paves the way in honoring the student-athlete role. #ef#educationfirst

So… interested? or nah.

• Grandescunt Aucta Labore? (Yes!) :slight_smile:
  • Vescere bracis meis (No) :frowning:

0 voters

Final note, I am thinking it could be pretty funny to approach Education First as a team sponsor, as they have recently become the title sponsor of a World Tour team. Generating some team/member testimonials would be a funny way to attract some attention!

ie: “Studying is a great thing! It guarantees that I’ll have fresh legs when I finally get out for a ride”

1 Like

A continuation of the previous message…

Is anybody interested in getting a study group going this semester? I am thinking we start with 1 study session/week and go from there. Perhaps best to get it going on weekends, fitting it around the spin sessions. Please see the poll below, this time I have made the votes visible haha.

• Before Sat spin (10:00-11:30)
  • After Sat spin (1:00-3:00)
  • After Sun spin (1:00-3:00)
  • Other
  • Not intrested, I am al’read’y two smrt!

0 voters

Note: These times can easily be adjusted. The current times allow for 30 minutes leeway before/after sessions. If you vote ‘other’ please post what days/times might work best for you.

3rd times the charm!?

It’s that time of year… thus @Nickkleb @adithyalaks and I are planning spin/study/suffer both Saturday and Sunday. As McGill students were are expected to value our EF, as in EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale. Anyways, in line with the student coming before the athlete in the forever honoured student-athlete role we are planning to study for at least twice as long as we spin. So, if you’re interested please indicate below…

Spin times: 9:00-11:00 am at the Currie spin room
Sat Spin: Warm up, 3x10 minute race pace, Cool down
Sun Spin: 2 hours low intensity/recovery, while watching Amstel Gold
Shower/Lunch: 11:00-12:30
Study times: 12:30-4:30 (location TBD, I may have access to my lab in Currie which can accommodate 6-8 of us, if this is the case then feel free to bring lunch/snacks)

• Yes to Spin on Sat
  • Yes to Study on Sat
  • Yes to Spin/Study on Sat
  • Yes to Spin on Sun
  • Yes to Study on Sun
  • Yes to Spin/Study on Sun
  • Leave me be (No)

0 voters